Our annual Cheque Writing Campaign is on! We are asking parents / guardians / supporters to make a single financial donation now in lieu of multiple fundraising efforts.
Donations will support student enrichment program initiatives for 2017-18, including:
- Math Residency: with Geri Loriway. Geri will work with Hillhurst staff and students on planning tasks that are enriching and engaging, modelling strategies and providing feed-back. Focus will be on: ensuring mathematics learning programs are active and rigorous; enhancing positive mathematics cultures in our school; building clarity and coherence in mathematics instruction and assessment practices; providing professional learning to enhance teacher confidence and skill. We will also purchase Math related curriculum resources and hands-on manipulatives for students.
- Mathletics: an on-line Math Learning Space. Every student will have learning space within Mathletics and this tool can be used at both home and school.
- STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Math) – STEAM is an educational approach to learning that uses Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Math access points for guiding student inquiry, dialogue, and critical thinking.
- Field Study Opportunities: Trips to include visits to Ralph Klein Park, Fort Calgary, Calgary Zoo, City School.
- Physical Education Residencies: Activities to include Alien-In Line Skating, African Drumming, and Netball.
- Grandparent Reading – Program that partners seniors with children to read and/or play educational games.
- Sports Day – Annual day to celebrate sport and fitness.
Please complete the Hillhurst School Donation Form (PDF )and return in your child’s agenda using the supplied envelope.
Payments may be made by cheque, cash, electronically via PayPal or through the United Way. United Way donations can be directed to the school by specifying society name Hillhurst (Elementary) Community School Society, address 1418 7 Avenue NW Calgary AB T2N 0Z2 and providing registered charity business number 82850 5503 RR0001.
Throughout the school year, Hillhurst School Council supports events and programs that enhance student learning, from fundraising to family dances to Career Day. All of this can only happen with YOU – parents and guardians of Hillhurst School – who volunteer your valuable time. Thank you! If you haven’t already done so, consider making time to help in some way this school year. Whether you have one hour or ten hours to give, you CAN help. A little time can make a big difference.
Studies show that students who have positive parent/guardian involvement are more likely to:
- Be motivated
- Earn higher grades
- Have better behaviour and social skills
- Continue their education to a higher level
Take a look at the Hillhurst School Council / Society Volunteer Opportunities booklet which outlines volunteer opportunities with Hillhurst School Council. Have a spare hour once a month? Come help with a bottle drive. Enjoy sports? Consider helping to organize Sports Day. Many opportunities are available to match your interests, abilities and availability. Check the volunteer page for current volunteer opportunities.
If you have questions or can think of another way to help, please feel free to talk to any member of the School Council executive or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Together, we can enhance our students’ learning during their time at Hillhurst School.
Hillhurst School’s annual Sports Day will take place the afternoon of Wednesday, June 28. The event will kick off with a special assembly followed by fun activities outdoors, such as
mini-golf, dodgeball, target shooting, a tattoo station, chalk art, potato sack race, skipping, speedminton and more.
Please make sure to send your child with a refillable water bottle, sun hat and sun screen.
Volunteers are always needed to help set up and run the activities. Please watch for opportunities to sign up.
Hillhurst School will host a Family Dance on Friday, May 12 from 6:30 to 8:30 pm in the gym. The theme is Hawaiian Luau and there will be a DJ and cash snack bar. Admission is free and all students, family and friends are welcome (children must be accompanied by an adult). We hope to see you on the dancefloor!