It’s that time of year when we begin planning for next year’s parent volunteer roles.
Our school community relies on the willingness of many generous parent volunteers who contribute their time and energy to enhancing the school experience for all students.
We are looking for volunteers who are willing to continue this great tradition. No prior experience or knowledge is necessary, as past volunteers are on hand to provide guidance and support. Executive positions are mandatory roles on the council, there are also openings for committee organizers, and for assistants to support the organizers on various committees. We are looking for a volunteer to serve as a Secretary on the council for 2018-2019.
Below you will find the link to the Sign Up Genius:
If you are interested in putting your name forward for consideration, sign up for the position and someone will be in touch with you within the next few weeks.
From October to May, we organize a number of student classes to read and play math games with Grandparent volunteers. At break time, a selection of food and beverages donated from parent volunteers are served to the Grandparents.
Each day we need a variety of items, such as sweets, fruit, veggies, savory items, cheese and crackers. If you can provide an item for one or more days, that would be fantastic! A label with a description of what’s in the item would be helpful.
Past donations have varied from elaborate handmade culinary creations to a simple block of cheese and store bought crackers. The grandparents love and appreciate every donation and every bit helps!
If you are able to provide something for the first Grandparents Reading day in October or any subsequent reading day, please sign up online using the link below.
Thank you to all of those who have signed up so far, this program would not be without your support.
Grandparent reading organizers,
Christina, Shannon and Terresa
Throughout the year, the school will collect bottles on the third Thursday morning of each month. Permanent bins for refundable beverage containers are set up at the school, so feel free to send or bring in your bottles at any time. Also, refundable beverage containers always can be dropped off at the North Hill Bottle Depot (336 41 Avenue NE) to the account of Hillhurst School.
Thank you for your support!
Our annual Cheque Writing Campaign is on! We are asking parents / guardians / supporters to make a single financial donation now in lieu of multiple fundraising efforts.
Donations will support student enrichment program initiatives for 2017-18, including:
- Math Residency: with Geri Loriway. Geri will work with Hillhurst staff and students on planning tasks that are enriching and engaging, modelling strategies and providing feed-back. Focus will be on: ensuring mathematics learning programs are active and rigorous; enhancing positive mathematics cultures in our school; building clarity and coherence in mathematics instruction and assessment practices; providing professional learning to enhance teacher confidence and skill. We will also purchase Math related curriculum resources and hands-on manipulatives for students.
- Mathletics: an on-line Math Learning Space. Every student will have learning space within Mathletics and this tool can be used at both home and school.
- STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Math) – STEAM is an educational approach to learning that uses Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Math access points for guiding student inquiry, dialogue, and critical thinking.
- Field Study Opportunities: Trips to include visits to Ralph Klein Park, Fort Calgary, Calgary Zoo, City School.
- Physical Education Residencies: Activities to include Alien-In Line Skating, African Drumming, and Netball.
- Grandparent Reading – Program that partners seniors with children to read and/or play educational games.
- Sports Day – Annual day to celebrate sport and fitness.
Please complete the Hillhurst School Donation Form (PDF )and return in your child’s agenda using the supplied envelope.
Payments may be made by cheque, cash, electronically via PayPal or through the United Way. United Way donations can be directed to the school by specifying society name Hillhurst (Elementary) Community School Society, address 1418 7 Avenue NW Calgary AB T2N 0Z2 and providing registered charity business number 82850 5503 RR0001.